This course provides an all-round development of the student in terms of the subject as well as what future career opportunities. It also helps a student to develop clarity about Sociology, answers examination questions effectively and choose the right career path for herself or himself.
Time: Wednesday 6.00- 8.00 p.m.
Aim of the Course
The aim of this course is to help students gain in-depth knowledge and clarity about Sociology. This
course provides an all-round development of the student in terms of the subject as well as what future
career opportunities. It also helps a student to develop clarity about Sociology, answers examination
questions effectively and choose the right career path for herself or himself.
Why You Need this Course?
Students of classes XI and XII are at a juncture of their life where they need to choose a discipline to
pursue for next few years and set a career goal to achieve for themselves. In the race of completing the
syllabus within the limited class time, there is hardly any scope for realizing future goals and really
receiving clarity on the subject. This course is designed to help students make an informed choice about
their coursework, what they want to study, why they want to study a particular subject and what
profession they want to pursue afterwards. This course aims to provide clarity, an all-round knowledge
on the subject and exposure to possible career opportunities that can be pursued in the future.
Who is This Course for?
- Students appearing for Board Examination (Any Board)
- Students who are looking to know more about sociology as a subject
- Students who are in classes XI and XII and want to know more about career paths in humanities
- Students who are at the juncture of deciding what to study in the future
- Students who are interested in Sociology but do not know how to increase their knowledge more
Why am I teaching this Course?
The experience of being a teacher for 30 years, the Principal of two leading schools of Kolkata (DPS and
Ashok Hall) and an author of the main Sociology textbook for classes XI and XII (Published by Kalyani
Publishers) and has made me realize the need to create an inclusive course for students. This course is
designed for students to receive a clear picture of Sociology as a subject and find out about the variety
of career opportunities that can emerge from studying it.
- Conceptualization and Clarity
- Assignments (Writing answers and corrections over e-mail, Reference notes sharing, Integrated Assessments)
- Discussion and Questions
- Conclusion and Doubt Clearing
Every student interested to enroll will be invited to attend this introductory session and interact with
the teacher. The purpose of this session is to initiate a conversation between the teacher and the
student and also in between the students themselves. The purpose of this session is to express and
analyze the aims of this course, expectations from it and evaluate whether the teacher and the student
are the right fit for each other. Complete Course syllabus will be available in this session.
This is not any test or interview but a short session to know more about the course and the method of
Some Topics to be Covered
1. Introduction to Western and Indian Sociologists and their contributions in the field
2. Basic concepts of Sociology, for example: Social groups, Socialization, Belief, Cooperation- Conflict-Competition, Status and Role.
3. Social Institutions: Kinship, Marriage, Family
4. Social Stratification
5. Social Problems
6. Social Change and Development
7. Tribal Society
Possible Career Directions:
1. Identifying possible Career Opportunities
2. Sharing relevant links to access Career Resources
3. Inviting accomplished professionals to share Career Experiences and Advice